qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject changing version numbers for our maven snapshot releases
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:59:30 GMT
Hi all,

I recently made the nightly build of the Java tree that we run on Jenkins (
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release/)
start deploying our maven snapshot releases to the ASF snapshots repo (
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/). Since then
we have created the 0.20 release branch and I put a Jenkins job (
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release-0.20/)
in place to do a nightly snapshot deployment of that.

Due to the above we have now stopped deploying 0.19 snapshots and started
deploying 0.20 and 0.21 snapshot artifacts. The result is that the 0.19
snapshots will simply remain on the Nexus instance because we will never
deploy 0.19 release artifacts and the automated cleanup process will simply
leave them in place as a result. The same will happen to 0.21 snapshots
when we make the 0.22 branch. In addition to generally cluttering thigns
up, its also going to be annoying for anyone actually using the snapshots
since they wont necessarily be aware of the change and could just use the
stale output, or instead will just have to change their POMs twice (from
0.19 snapshot to 0.20 snapshot, then 0.20 release).

As such, unless there is strong objection I plan to tweak the build system
in the days ahead to simply avoid deploying the odd-numbered snapshots in
future, moving it to deploy 0.22 snapshots now (then 0.24 snapshots after
that) and cleaning the old 0.19 and 0.21 snapshots from the repo.

Robbie