qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: r1415137: QPID-3723: Applied patch from Fraser Adams for explicit linking
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:54:12 GMT
On 12/05/2012 08:44 PM, Alan Conway wrote:
> There is a serious problem with this patch. My build (on RHEL5 at trunk
> r1417511) fails with lots of these:
>
> g++: /usr/lib64/libqpidcommon.so: No such file or directory
> g++: /usr/lib64/libqpidtypes.so: No such file or directory
>

> It looksl like using -lqpidcommon on the link line tries to link with
> the library installed in /usr/lib, and fails to build if Qpid is not
> installed.
>
> It is most important that qpid's own libraries be specified via an
> explicit path, and not discovered by the linker, to ensure that a build
> actually links with its own libraries.
>
> I'm not sure what the proper way to do this is with libtool (curse you
> libtool!!!!) but I don't think we can leave it this way.

I couldn't reproduce the problem on RHEL 5.8, using latest trunk.
Whether or not there were qpid libraries installed it seemed to pick up
the correct ones from the build for me).

That said, we should probably be linking against the .la with libtool?
That seems to have been the approach previously which didn't cause these
problems.

Attached is a patch that would do this. Are you able to test it on the
system that caused problems to ensure it does actually fix the problem?
It works for me on Fedora 17 and RHEL 5.8, but as I say I couldn't
reproduce the problem in the first place.