qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: summary/conclusion (was Re: mailing lists and fragmented communication)
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:31:59 GMT
In what sense are we special in our user/developer distinction? I can't
really think of anything to particularly support that.

In terms of JIRA traffic going to dev, actually I consider it detrimental
that everyone filters JIRAs off and never bothers to actually look at JIRA.
Patches continually sit on JIRAs for weeks/months/years before anyone picks
them up (e.g when I send out an email moaning about how many hundred open
JIRAs we have, or how many open JIRAs are assigned to already-released
versions, at a particular point in time) as so many people clearly never
bother looking at JIRA. That said, I do agree that such traffic shouldnt go
to the same mailing list we inteded as the primary non-JIRA path for users
to be posting discussion on, so I guess that nullifies the issue (no pun
intended) if we were to do away with dev@.

If we were to make a new general discussion list (replacing users@ and
adding ddeelopment discussion) then discuss@ seems reasonable to me, but I
think the other things are served equally well by whats already here now. I
seem to recall picking notifications@ for the Jenkins emails because I read
previous mailing lsit creation requests where infra had pushed back on
other projects wanting myothername@ for their lists to be used for the same
purpose.

Robbie