qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: summary/conclusion (was Re: mailing lists and fragmented communication)
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:04:48 GMT
For me, Gordon's stated summary is the best argument for one
discussion list.  The users/dev split is conventional, but it is not
particularly good for our project.  For one, the user/developer
distinction is fuzzier for us than it is for many other projects.  For
two, the kind of content that Gordon has been posting (and will
continue posting) to users is more conventionally posted to dev lists
in other projects.  I consider that a bad situation, because folks
seeking, for instance, technical roadmap info could easily end up
missing it because they're on the dev list, not the users list.

Generally speaking, I think it's useful to introduce distinct lists
(for users/dev and for components like proton) only if there is too
much volume.  I don't think we're there yet.

Finally, forgetting all this, the *first* thing I would change is jira
traffic going to dev.  I consider it strictly detrimental.

My dream scheme:

  discussion@qpid.apache.org - human beings talking about qpid
  commits@qpid.apache.org - [no change]
  issues@qpid.apache.org - all jira traffic