qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Toward a new Qpid website
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:23:26 GMT
On 02/04/2013 10:59 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/output/
>
> Hi, folks.  This is the first public draft of the new site I've been
> working on.  I'd appreciate your attention and comments.

I think in general the structure is a big improvement. The home page is
more focused and direct. I *really* like the individual 'component'
pages as well as the components index page. The getting involved page is
a lot more engaging and welcoming than the current one.

However - brace yourself!- there are some things I am less keen on...

I really don't like the graphic across the top, or the font in which
AMQP Messenger is written. To me it looks like an advert for a
retirement home and is out of tune with the rest of the page.

Also, I'm not mad on the use of 'we' and 'us' in the 'welcome'
paragraphs. It seems a little insular to me. I'd prefer to try and more
explicitly mention the the community makes the tools etc.

I'm not sure about the new Qpid logo (i.e. white 'Q' shape in blue); I
do think it should be aligned a little better at least, as it looks like
it couldn't quite fit in at present. I find the top banner a little
noisier than ideal. The change in size, font and case seems excessive in
transitioning from 'Apache Qpid' to 'AMQP Messaging'.

At the risk of stirring up the mud again, I feel we could be a little
clearer on proton. E.g. remove the 'Qpid is home to Qpid Proton' from
the project and have a Qpid Proton section above APIs, saying that it is
a toolkit allowing any application to speak AMQP.

There are more minor wording quibbles (e.g. I don't  like 'advanced
reliability'), but probably worth debating through the bigger issues first.

We do desperately need a better web site, and I think this gets the ball
rolling on that very nicely. Thanks!