qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:35:19 GMT
On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 15:36 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> Personally I'd rather cmake was given the heave ho ;->
>
> for all of it's pain automake is something of a defacto standard for a
> ton of projects.

cmake is also a de facto standard (just for a different - albeit smaller
- set of projects)

> Re "Anyone know of specific issues that need to be addressed in cmake?"
> yeah, I don't have cmake installed :-D sorry. I'm just messing.

The tests are not at parity, autotools "make check" has quite a lot more
tests wired in than cmake "make test".

> Seriously though I've just reached a point with 0.20 where I didn't have
> to hack around with things to get Qpid to compile on my Ubuntu box, so
> if I'm honest I'm a little disinclined to change something that finally
> works to have things potentially break more again.

TBH, you shouldn't have to 'hack around' in either case, you just
install the prerequisites and compile. Substitute cmake for
autoconf/automake/libtool and you are prtty much done.

The actual piece of work here is to rework the README and INSTALL files
to reflect the current build/install process.

> If there are strong feelings that agree with your view to move to cmake
> can I suggest that deprecation rather than removal of automake is
> announced. I think just deleting it from 0.22 is a bit draconian and I
> think we should have a couple of releases at least where both exist but
> one is marked deprecated so that users get a chance to flag up where
> things break (plenty of users only work off official releases - imagine
> their surprise if they are forced to use cmake and either they don't
> have cmake installed or the cmake breaks for them).
>
> I'm clearly biased 'cause I haven't used cmake, but I'm very anti just
> deleting the automake build without a period of it being properly
> deprecated.

As Steve said I think the autoconf tool chain has been deprecated so
long that we've forgotten that we did it! My guess is something like 3
years.

We've very clearly demonstrated that without this sort of ultimatum
other things just remain more important.

> All that said I do have sympathy with the view that having two build
> systems is probably not ideal.
>
> Oh and to follow on a thread that was started a little while back by
> Gordon I *really* think that this proposal should be flagged up on the
> qpid users mailing list too!!

This seems sensible, although it does raise the question of what is
'dev' about this list if the choice of build system is a 'user' issue!

Andrew