qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:41:04 GMT
On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 18:06 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> > This seems sensible, although it does raise the question of what is
> > 'dev' about this list if the choice of build system is a 'user' issue!
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> That was pretty much the point that Gordon was making :-) There's kind
> of a blurry line between Qpid users and developers - certainly given
> that for many cases users actually have to build Qpid from source in
> order to use it. I guess that the user community is also likely to be
> far more disparate, possibly on a wider set of platforms and very
> possibly blessed :-) AKA restricted by "corporate IT standards". I know
> plenty of cases where people are stuck with ancient OS versions because
> of corporate support policies. So in many ways I'd argue that its the
> user community that this should be flagged up with foremost, because
> clearly you guys have been bubbling around with this thought process for
> a while, but it might come as a surprise to others.

I'm genuinely surprised that a significant number of people are still
compiling stuff from source themselves (except what they are actually
working on themselves of course). Given the decent package repositories
(of all different types) I hardly ever need to compile code dependencies
nowadays. I used to do it a lot in the early 90s, but it seems to be
pretty rare for me now. On Windows it's always been a bit worse though.

Anyway if it is anything the dev list is for discussion amongst the qpid
developers themselves (rather than developers who use qpid) and surely
they are the ons who "get to vote" about the build system.

> You mentioned "TBH, you shouldn't have to 'hack around' in either case",
> I agree entirely with that statement, but the fact is that I've always
> had to do that because building from source (particularly installing)
> has never "just worked" for me on my Ubuntu system. TBH even with 0.20
> it didn't just work and I had to
>
> export LDFLAGS=-L`dirname $(pwd)`/cpp/src/.libs

But this is due to not installing in the default ubuntu location,
nothing to do with the qpid build. If you wanted you could also go
fiddle with /etc/ld.so.conf.d files

Actually running your own built executables is something that will just
work with cmake - the .libs stuff which comes with libtool is much
harder (BTW you can use libtool itself to get the paths correct somthing
like libtool --mode=execute ...)

Andrew