qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:24:04 GMT
On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 12:51 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 01:07 PM, Cliff Jansen wrote:
> > Not that this speaks directly to the issue of instant deletion versus
> > a more dignified old-folks home retirement, but I would point out that
> > CMake is the sole build mechanism for AMQP 1.0 support in C/C++.  You
> > can't avoid it going forward for at least part of your build.
> >
> > Also since a lot of the test infrastructure is tied to the build
> > system,  there will be an awful lot of holes showing up fast in the
> > automake side.
> >
> > Finally, the effort to allow the automake side to continue to build
> > (if only to a limping state) may consist of cruel and unusual
> > punishment for an unlucky developer who is trying to add useful new
> > features (async store perchance?).
>
> Fraser makes a fail point about the deprecation not being obvious since the
> instructions etc. still say to use automake.
>
> Here's a softer proposal: we fix configure to fail by default and print a
> deprecation message, then add an option
> --you-really-should-use-clearmake-but-ok-if-you-insist=yes for those who want to
> continue with automake. We fix the instructions to direct people to clearmake,
> we keep automake working for this release, but ignore it after that. We can
> remove it completely at the next release.

I agree with this approach, but I suggest that we prioritise getting the
cmake build instructions into The 0.22 Readme, and suggest in the
release notes that people prefer to use cmake to build rather than
autotools. That way we'll get a flood of bug reports in the 0.22 time
frame and fix them for 0.24 when we get serious!

Andrew