qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:59:52 GMT
On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 14:24 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 01:24 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > I agree with this approach, but I suggest that we prioritise getting the
> > cmake build instructions into The 0.22 Readme, and suggest in the
> > release notes that people prefer to use cmake to build rather than
> > autotools. That way we'll get a flood of bug reports in the 0.22 time
> > frame and fix them for 0.24 when we get serious!
> >

> Just to be clear: do you agree with having configure fail with a deprecation
> warning unless --use-deprecated=yes? We do want to update the doc & release
> notes but those are easily missed by people who are already used to building
> Qpid. A build failure is hard to miss.

Sorry not to be clear enough.

Before and for the 0.22 release (the one that just went into alpha) We
should make sure we get the README and unix build instructions up to
date and telling people how to use cmake and elevating it to the
preferred method in the README (leave the autotools instructions in at
the bottom and note them as deprecated - but for 0.22 only in these
docs)

Then for 0.24, (ie on trunk as soon as we release 0.22) we carry out
your fiendish scheme of making the autotools configure fail with a
warning etc.

Then for 0.26 We actually remove autotools completely.

The idea here is to get people building 0.22 with cmake by making it the
preferred instruction in the README/INSTALL doc and reporting bugs to
us, but to still "allow" them and support them building with autotools
if it fails badly for them for some reason.

The corollary is that failing to build with cmake won't be a blocker for
0.22, but it will start to be a blocker from 0.24 onwards.

Andrew