qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:56:43 GMT
Having 2 build systems is a waste of time and a source of confusion. We
introduced the cmake build with the intent that it would replace the automake
system, I think the time has come to say farewell to automake. The cmake system
is ready: it covers the same ground as automake and more (esp. windows), and it
is actively and successfully used by many developers.

I propose that once we have branched for the 0.22 release, we delete the
automake build system. That will give us plenty of time to find and fix any
issues with the cmake system before the next release. I'm not aware of any major
deficiencies in the cmake system, minor discrepancies will be quickly found and
fixed once everyone has switched. I volunteer to help resolve issues that come up.

Are there any strong opinions out there for or against? Anyone know of specific
issues that need to be addressed in cmake?

Cheers,
Alan.