qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:36:20 GMT
Hi Alan,
Personally I'd rather cmake was given the heave ho ;->

for all of it's pain automake is something of a defacto standard for a
ton of projects.

Re "Anyone know of specific issues that need to be addressed in cmake?"
yeah, I don't have cmake installed :-D sorry. I'm just messing.

Seriously though I've just reached a point with 0.20 where I didn't have
to hack around with things to get Qpid to compile on my Ubuntu box, so
if I'm honest I'm a little disinclined to change something that finally
works to have things potentially break more again.

If there are strong feelings that agree with your view to move to cmake
can I suggest that deprecation rather than removal of automake is
announced. I think just deleting it from 0.22 is a bit draconian and I
think we should have a couple of releases at least where both exist but
one is marked deprecated so that users get a chance to flag up where
things break (plenty of users only work off official releases - imagine
their surprise if they are forced to use cmake and either they don't
have cmake installed or the cmake breaks for them).

I'm clearly biased 'cause I haven't used cmake, but I'm very anti just
deleting the automake build without a period of it being properly
deprecated.

All that said I do have sympathy with the view that having two build
systems is probably not ideal.

Oh and to follow on a thread that was started a little while back by
Gordon I *really* think that this proposal should be flagged up on the
qpid users mailing list too!!

Frase