qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: Allow broker to initiate AMQP 1.0 connections (and links) to other entities
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:09:39 GMT
On 02/18/2013 03:16 PM, Alan Conway wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
>
> I'm thinking about new-HA over 1.0. How much work do you think it would
> be to create replicating links with the new domain model?

Conceptually there are no big problems, but it would require a fair bit
of new code I think, though I have not thought it through in any detail yet.

The existing solution is quite tied to 0-10 code. E.g.
ReplicatingSubscription extends SemanticState::ConsumerImpl which is
part of the 0-10 codepath.

> HA currently uses the Link/Bridge classes to host its replicating
> subscriptions, so probably we'll need an abstraction that can be
> implemented over both Link/Bridge and 1.0 domains.

Yes. QueueReplicator in particular would need to be looked at with a
view to how it could initiate replication over 1.0.

The ties to Links from BrokerReplicator, HaBroker, Primary and Backup
are I think(?) more around the use of QMF to drive automatic replication
configuration. QMF is itself 0-10 only at present. However that isn't as
big an issue.

Note that you can of course use the 0-10 HA between brokers while having
applications connect to the brokers using 1.0. The one issue there is
the potential for the conversion between 1.0 to 0-10 message formats to
alter the exact byte sequence of the 'bare message' in 1.0 terms.

> Do we have failover in 1.0 yet (broker and/or client)?

No, not yet.