qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:45:03 GMT
On 03/09/2013 09:24 AM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> On 08/03/13 21:41, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>> . Anyway if it is anything the dev list is for discussion amongst the
>> qpid developers themselves (rather than developers who use qpid) and
>> surely they are the ons who "get to vote" about the build system.
> That's a fair point, but all I'm arguing for is good communication. So
> users don't get a vote - that's fine, but at least if they are able to
> register any worries about the potential impact then the scale of the
> short term support problem that might occur moving users who need to
> build qpid themselves will be better known. If we break something that
> users depend upon without communicating that fact then we risk pushing
> them away.

I agree completely. Issues that affect 'users' should be discussed on
the user list. The build system is absolutely one of those things (since
the Apache Qpid community only publishes source builds for c++).

The lack of awareness of the reasons for moving to cmake and the
eventual removal of autotools is probably itself a result of a failure
to adequately inform users of plans.

I am in support of Alan's proposal and agree with Fraser that we need to
communicate with users. As far as I understood it, the proposal was to
remove autotools *after* 0.22, not for it.