qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal: get rid of automake build system.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:35:11 GMT

> So... the automake build works fine (which is a new experience on
> Ubuntu :-) )....
>
> So I'd personally not be keen to remove the automake build until the
> cmake build works on my platform :-)
>
> -- Rob

Ha ha, yeah that was the original source of my amusement/bemusement. I'd
noticed with 0.20 that Gordon and co had applied a patch that I'd raised
back in 0.12 to get it working on Ubuntu. There was a bit of irony
around the proposal to move to cmake when we'd just got the automake
build "just working" :-) though I can see why it might be a good move.

I think some of the recent proposals around pushing the "automake
*really* is deprecated please use cmake and report any issues" agenda
seem to be a good middle ground. I think a couple of releases to give
users a chance to shout seems fair warning.

I'm kind of glad I wasn't the only one seeing Ubuntu weirdness.

I'll have a play with cmake myself when I get a moment.

Frase