qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 17:05:51 GMT
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:00:15AM -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 09:32 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> > Ah, I see what you mean. This is how it's supposed to work. When
> > installing the bindings, those directories are determined by where the
> > language's site directories are located and not by the install prefix
> > set during the Cmake generation phase. This same case applies to Proton
> > as well.
>
> What you say is how proton works, and is arguably the "correct" way to
> do it - but unless we've changed something qpid does it (and has done
> it) the way Gordon expects.
>
> If you've changed all the bindings to consistently behave in the proton
> way this needs to be release noted as it will cause confusion, if it's
> not consistent then it's even worse!

The Python bindings are installed based on the ${PYTHON_SITEARCH_PACKAGES}
directory, which is defined by the CMakeLists.txt file in
$repo/qpid/cpp/bindings as:

execute_process(COMMAND ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE}
                -c "from distutils.sysconfig import g
                OUTPUT_VARIABLE PYTHON_SITEARCH_PACKA
                OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)

This was added in QPID-3633:

QPID-3633: Make cmake the primary build tool for the cpp tree
    Get Swigged bindings to install in the correct place

In the managementgen/CMakeLists.txt file it previously had its Python files
installing to /usr/local/managementgen, added by Stephen Huston on 23
April 2009 (merged from a different source). I changed those in April to
be the same as the Qpid Python bindings in April this year.

> DESTDIR does not perform the same function as CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. The
> point of setting a local install directory for qpid and having the build
> not fail is so that you can build all the modules you need in the
> correct place for the server and client without having to mess around.
> If the install fails due to bindings not being installed this really
> messes this up, and The qpid build currently has no way of turning the
> bindings builds off.

Sorry, but I'm not suggesting that the two are the same. I was only
pointing out that, to install everything under one location, DESTDIR
can do that for a person.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/