qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Broker operation flow
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:58:45 GMT
On 06/05/2013 09:42 AM, Subramaniam, Ganapathy wrote:
> I am trying to understand the flow of a message from the client to
> the broker.  From the broker code, I see that there are two entry
> points to access the broker functions. One is when the socket
> receives a message, it is decoded and finally the session adapter
> converts the amqp message to appropriate function calls on the
> broker. The second route is that of the management method provided by
> the broker which works based on the qmf protocol. Why are there two
> ways to do the same thing. Which way is used in which case and which
> is the preferred way.

The data read from the socket is decoded into AMQP frames which are then
handled as dictated by the specification, based on valid types of
frames. QMF is actually layered on top of AMQP. It provides a way of
sending messages to the broker itself (rather than to other applications
connected to the broker) and/or of receiving messages from the broker.
This mechanism is used to provide some management capabilities not
defined by AMQP itself.

--Gordon.