qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Broker operation flow
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:59:19 GMT
On 06/05/2013 12:00 PM, Subramaniam, Ganapathy wrote:
> Can you give me more details ? I am confused between the poller and
> the socket.

There will typically be many clients connected to the broker, each using
its own socket. At any one time there may be nothing to read on a given
socket. The poller is a mechanism to wait for data on a whole set of
sockets with a single thread. When any socket in the set has data, the
thread then processes that socket. This way the broker can use a fixed
(usually small) number of threads to handle a large number of connections.

> The poller is waiting for messages on a pipe. I don’t
> understand how these two work together. When the broker object is
> created, only  n threads of the poller are started. I am confused. So
> can you give me an brief overview of what happens when a client
> creates a connection and sends a message.

The client opens a socket to the broker and encodes the necessary
instructions, including the message data, according to the protocol in
use (in this case AMQP). It then writes the encoded data to the socket.

The availability of this data causes one of the worker threads to wake
up and process that socket. It reads the data, decodes it to understand
the instructions and get the message data and then routes the message as
per the instructions.

Does that help?