qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Subramaniam, Ganapathy" <Ganapathy.Subraman...@gs.com>
Subject RE: Broker operation flow
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:00:22 GMT
Can you give me more details ? I am confused between the poller and the socket. The poller
is waiting for messages on a pipe. I don’t understand how these two work together. When
the broker object is created, only  n threads of the poller are started. I am confused. So
can you give me an brief overview of what happens when a client creates a connection and sends
a message.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Sim [mailto:gsim@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:29 PM
To: dev@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Broker operation flow

On 06/05/2013 09:42 AM, Subramaniam, Ganapathy wrote:
> I am trying to understand the flow of a message from the client to the
> broker.  From the broker code, I see that there are two entry points
> to access the broker functions. One is when the socket receives a
> message, it is decoded and finally the session adapter converts the
> amqp message to appropriate function calls on the broker. The second
> route is that of the management method provided by the broker which
> works based on the qmf protocol. Why are there two ways to do the same
> thing. Which way is used in which case and which is the preferred way.

The data read from the socket is decoded into AMQP frames which are then handled as dictated
by the specification, based on valid types of frames. QMF is actually layered on top of AMQP.
It provides a way of sending messages to the broker itself (rather than to other applications
connected to the broker) and/or of receiving messages from the broker.
This mechanism is used to provide some management capabilities not defined by AMQP itself.

--Gordon.