qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy Jones" <jimmyjon...@gmx.co.uk>
Subject Re: RFQ 0.24: Two JIRAs
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:52:20 GMT
Hi,

I'm a user of binary data in maps!

I created the patch to handle UTF8 in perl. Removing the check will cause non-UTF8 strings
to be casted into UTF8 which is probably a bad idea unless by luck they are 7 bit ASCII.

Cheers,

Jimmy

----- Original Message -----
From: Gordon Sim
Sent: 08/12/13 11:26 AM
To: dev@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: RFQ 0.24: Two JIRAs
 On 08/09/2013 09:55 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> The fix was to default encode strings from Ruby, Python and Perl using
> UTF-8.

I have a couple of questions about this. While I certainly agree that
sending data as vstr is nearly always the right thing, the changes you
made - assuming I read them correctly - don't simply alter the 'default'
encoding but prevent any other encoding. (Any attempt to do so would
indeed result in decoding errors at the other side rather than simply a
loss of desired encoding).

So for example it would no longer be possible to send a map message with
binary data within it. It may be that is considered sufficiently
unlikely a requirement that it has been explicitly discounted.

I'm not saying that is necessarily the wrong decision, but I feel it
warrants a little bit more commentary/explanation.

Python has a unicode string for example, which presumably(?) could be
used to explicitly choose utf8 encoding. Was that approach considered
and rejected?

 From your change it looks like for perl someone had previously
explicitly checked whether a string was a UTF8 one when choosing the
encoding and you have removed that check. Did the existing code not work
or was it felt to be unintuitive to users? (Also, minor nit, you checked
in commented out code rather than removing it).

Again, I am not necessarily opposed to the changes. I just want to be
sure that sufficient thought has been given as to the consequences (and
alternatives).

> I verified it with the Perl and Ruby clients again the Java Drain
> tool and it works correctly.

What about python?