qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: UTF8 / binary strings in dynamic languages
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:08:58 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:59:17PM -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> I modified the spout.pl example to do this for both the name and value
> on properties pass in at the command line and they were seen by the Java
> drain tool (yay!).
>
> So, narrowing down the goal slightly, WRT QPID-5067, do we want to 1)
> require the users to explicitly called utf8::upgrade() on the property
> name and value and assume that, whatever they pass in is correct, or do we
> 2) assume it for them and upgrade the string in our porcelain layer?
>
> In this case, since message properties are always strings, the latter
> seems to me to be the right path.

Okay, so with clarification from Gordon that the property name is always
UTF-8 encoded, the question about forcing the encoding on the property
name is moot.

Regarding the property values, it seems that the simplest solution is,
for dynamic languages, to have the developer explicitly encode the
string.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/