qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Justin <Justin.Scad...@gd-ais.com>
Subject Re: 2 Client Question: Multiple Receivers & Aborting fetch()
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:52:02 GMT
Thank you for your response. I think I’m missing something fundamental here,
but I’m close to grasping it.

In reading the exchange ‘subtype’ stuff  here
<http://qpid.apache.org/components/java-broker/book/Java-Broker-Concepts-Exchanges.html>

(in Java because there is nothing in C++ documentation about it), they all
look like they inherently support publish-subscribe many-to-many type
messaging and they just differ on the method of distribution to the
receivers.

I am concerned that if I use a topic of any type, the receiver would miss a
message if it wasn't listening when the message was sent. I gained that
understanding because in the c++ documentation  here
<http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.24/programming/book/section-addresses.html>

, it says, "Topics deliver messages immediately to any interested receiver,
and do not store messages. Because there were no receivers at the time spout
sent the message, it was simply discarded".

In my current system, I have a three use cases:
   - Pub/Sub - Intend to use 'topic' so these information messages do not
accumulate. I.e. the publisher is writing them at 20hz and the receiver only
needs 10hz
   - A request reply schema: These scenarios are one-to-one or many-to-one,
so a standard queue is acceptable.
   - A command schema: This is where my issue is. I might need to issue a
command to multiple receivers and need to know that they will 'queue' up at
the receiver for all available receivers. Topics as defined in the c++ API
document won't work. They might work as written in the Java documentation

I'm beginning to think my misunderstanding is that the I thought type of
sender and receiver need to match. I.e. if I publish a topic, I must receive
one. Is this not true? i.e. to solve the last use case, do I need to have
the sender use node type topic and the receiver use node type queue (and not
use the assert option, obviously)?