qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 2 Client Question: Multiple Receivers & Aborting fetch()
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:18:34 GMT
On 02/05/2014 06:15 PM, Justin wrote:
> In regards to my first question and it's associated use case, I've stumbled
> upon some interesting information. Apparently, the broker supports exchange
> types 'fanout' and 'headers', which are not documented in the C++ API
> documentation on Apache's website. I found out about them from colleagues in
> other companies and then found information on them in the Java
> documentation.
>
> I believe 'fanout' is exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm glad it exists.
>
> I am curious though, why isn't it in the C++ documentation? Specifically,
> table 2.2  here
> <http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.24/programming/book/section-addresses.html>
> ,
> which specifically says type can only be 'queue' and 'topic'.

The type there is the 'node type', there are then further 'subtypes' if
you will of a 'topic' node, specifically the pre 1.0 defined exchange
types: direct, topic, fanout, headers etc. The confusion around the
'topic' name is unfortunate. I think the amqp exchange type was badly named.

The main difference between a topic exchange and a fanout exchange is
that the former allows selective matching based on patterns, where the
latter does not. Both can be used to give a pub-sub style pattern, which
is commonly (at least to those familiar with JMS) thought of a s a 'topic'.