qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: dispatch: getting rid of QPID_DISPATCH_HOME in python scripts.
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 20:55:49 GMT
On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 04:42:21PM -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> And how are you going to prevent those irritating users from looking
> at /usr/bin/qdstat and observing that it imports all its bits
> from /usr/lib/qpid-dispatch/python/blah, and going ahead and using it
> anyway? This is python, we can't stop people from using it if they want
> to, all we can do is make it clear that we won't support it.
>
> IMO if we put this in site-confg/qpid_dispatch/_private/*.py and stick a
> "NOT SUPPORTED" comment at the top, that would give us just as much
> protection (in terms of making it obvious that we don't intend it to be
> public) but avoid the extra env var muck, the ugly cmake substitutions
> in our python tools etc.

I would disagree, since by putting them into the site-packages hierarchy
we're implying that they're public APIs, or implementation details for
_some_ public API set.

This is a pattern that several other projects use as well for
internal-only Python libraries, to put them into a directory under lib
named for the project.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/