qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Keith W <keith.w...@gmail.com>
Subject QPID-6405 - Python client does not report version to peer
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:31:03 GMT
Hi all,

May I ask someone with more Python expertise than myself review the change
I made on QPID-6405?

The change simply exposes the client's version number through to the Broker
during connection through the connection properties in the same manner as
the existing Java client (0-10/0-9).  (The background to this change is
that in complex organisations, where different teams are responsible for
clients applications than the brokers, managing software currency is hard.
Having the client version number consistently reported Broker side helps
this process).

The part of the change which I am unsure is the use of pkg_resources.    I
understand this retrieves the package's metadata from the .egg which was
created during the setup.py - install (or laid down by the RPM install).
Are there any gotchas in the use of  pkg_resources?  Am I unwittingly
bringing extra dependencies by taking this approach?

Any comments welcome.

My intention is to request this change for 0.32.

cheers Keith