qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid packages for Ubuntu, was Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Qpid CPP 0.34
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:26:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----

I'm also very keen on having the latest QPID releases easily available for Ubuntu.  My work
on Openstack would benefit from having the latest qpidd and proton available as pre-build
packages.

While having qpid and proton packages in the official Debian and ubuntu distros would be ideal,
I'm not sure that should be our immediate goal.  Darryl spend a lot of time trying to get
newer packages into Debian with little to show for it.  Personally, I don't have the bandwidth
to take that on.  But, more importantly, those distros are very slow to adopt newer releases
(especially Debian).  While this is a Good Thing for Debian and Ubuntu LTS users, I don't
think it fits well with the QPID project's release cadence.

Personally, I much prefer simply having a well maintained Launchpad PPA for the Qpid project,
and providing a link to it on the Qpid Downloads page.  Darryl has set up 2 PPAs for QPID:
one for testing pre-released packages and one for proper releases.  Users who want to track
the latest can add the stable PPA to their system's repositories via apt-add-repository.
Users who would rather use a particular release can simply download it via the web page.

That said, it requires work to maintain that PPA.  Packages would need to be built (for what
architectures?) for each release candidate as well as for the final release.   I suspect that's
a non-trivial time and effort commitment.

-K

--
-K