qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject Proton Devs using Linux: please run the python-tox-test unit tests!!
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:48:09 GMT

Devs,

As you probably know, I've pushed changes to the proton python bindings that make proton compatible
with python3.

Since then, I've hit bugs in the python3 stuff that could've been caught by running the above
unit test on a linux system that has python3 installed.

This test currently only runs on linux, and requires both python3 and extra python tools be
installed in order to run it.  I suspect most devs don't have these tools installed by default.
  If the tools are not available - or are not current - ctest will skip running these tests.

Most current linux distros - I'm running Fedora 21 btw - support installing both python2.x
and python3.x in parallel.  Most default to just having python 2.x installed - you usually
have to install python3 manually.

Once you have python3 installed, you will also need to have an up-to-date version of the 'tox'
and 'virtualenv' tools installed.

For example, on my F21 box:  "sudo yum install python-tox python-virtualenv"  does the trick.

Note: the unit tests require version 1.7+ of python-tox.  If that isn't available to you,
you can use 'python-pip' to either overwrite the installed version of tox with a newer one,
or install a local copy of tox in your home directory:

$ sudo pip install -U tox   # this overwrites
or
$ pip install --user -U tox  # will put tox in ~/.local - you'll have to update your PATH/PYTHONPATH
to look there

Once all that is done, a simple 'make test' should run the python-tox-test.

Doing all this is optional, and will increase the time it takes to run the unit tests, but
it prevent inadvertent regressions to the python3 support.  And it will greatly appreciated
by yours truly!

thanks all,

-K