qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proton 14's Ruby bindings require rubygem-rspec and rubygem-simplecov, even without testing
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 16:33:24 GMT
On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 11:41 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 10:10 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> > Really this is not a documentation issue - it is a build issue.
> >
> > The CMake build should just not try to test ruby if these are not
> > present (and in fact istr that there is code to do exactly this).
> >
> > The build should never just fail because of some lack of
> > dependency.
> > Either it should complain at the configure phase if the dependency
> > is
> > mandatory; or it should just not build whatever bit of proton
> > depends
> > on an absent optional dependency.
> >

> Agreed, will fix and add a note to PROTON-570. It seems this has been
> fixed, broken, re-fixed and re-broken.

So here's the story: the build is already correct in that lack of
optional components does not stop the whole build.

The question is what constitutes "presence" of the optional ruby
component. As it stands we skip ruby by default unless ruby-devel AND
the rspec/simplecov gems are present. We error if you try to force
BUILD_RUBY=ON and any of these are missing.

Now we could make the tests optional, but that makes me very queasy. If
someone builds the ruby binding on a new platform/version, then they
really need to run the tests to make sure it actually works, so these
gems are build requirements (if you are building ruby) not options.

So I propose to leave this as a doc bug (fixed) but I would be happy to
improve the cmake warning/error messages if anyone has suggestions.

Thoughts?
Alan.