qpid-proton mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: UUID size
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:41:27 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29:44AM -0500, Ken Giusti wrote:
> Hi Darryl,
>
> Proton represents the UUID as binary, hence the 16 byte array.  For string representations,
such as Ruby's, that would have to be converted to ascii/utf8 hex, and would require the 32
bytes for proper representation.

> In python, we have to manually convert the uuid in pn_data_t format into the native python
uuid object type - see bindings/python/proton.py.  Sounds like you'll have something similar
in ruby.

> Aside, I think the V# type just indicates the method used for generating the 16  byte
uuid.  V4 uses a random number generator, for example.  I think the sizes are all 16 byte.

Thanks, Ken. I'll look at the Python bindings.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/