qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: possible cool change to pn_messenger_route()
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:10:42 GMT
On 04/09/2013 03:59 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Michael Goulish <mgoulish@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> I like your  pattern --> { broadcast, balance, failover } ( addr, addr,
>> ... addr )
>> idea a lot better than my multiple rules w/ same pattern.
>>
>> I just think runtime-adaptive address translation could be very powerful.
>>
>> i.e. for failover scenario, think of (old) Qpid clustering -- when one node
>> failed, a new node with a new addr stands up -- and advertises its addr.
>> It would get added to this rule
>>
>>      pattern -->  failover ( addr1, addr2, addr_new )
>>
>> And the dead node deleted.
>>

> I agree it is a very tantalizing possibility. I think application-specific
> content based routing is the killer motivating scenario as that is
> something where you couldn't use a turn-key router, and also not something
> you are going to do via a config file.

Its my feeling that this functionality should be built on top of proton, not as
part of proton - exactly because its difficult to cover all the things that
people might want to do in a generic router. The routing library/plugin could
provide the kind of routing table discussed on the list by default, but could
also be presented as a toolkit that lets you plug your own routing code in, use
your own config files or database etc.