qpid-proton mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Fixing the merge commit in the git repo?
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 22:41:26 GMT
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 02:37:53PM -0500, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> So what was the right thing to do here? I have to admit I struggled a bit
> with the git portion of getting the whole thing landed. The changes were
> (mostly) isolated to a subdirectory, yet whatever git incantations I seemed
> to come up with forced me to painstakingly hand merge lots of conflicts
> over and over again. What I ended up doing was mostly stumbled into in an
> attempt to avoid all that grunge.

Yeah, that's because there were several spots where master was merged
into the javascript branch. So all of the changes that lived in master
were already present in javascript (as a part of those merges) but were
not in the same deltas as they live on master. So git was seeing the
same changes show up in multiple separate commits and needed someone
else to decide which was the right one.

That's why rebasing your task branch in git is the Right Way(tm) to
prepare a task branch for merging up to master.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/