qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: reactor examples
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 13:29:21 GMT
On 02/05/2015 05:10 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Ted Ross <tross@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused by this push.  How does this set of examples relate to
>> the examples Gordon has been developing in examples/engine/py?
[...]
> The short summary is that I've worked to implement in C a lot of the
> concepts Gordon already developed so that we can gain the benefits of his
> work across all languages, not just Python.

I didn't really develop any concepts. I focused on getting a set of
working examples that demonstrated a level of usability and functional
completeness I believe is necessary, along with utilities (essentially
some handlers and a 'container' class) that enable this. The examples
and the utilities are currently in python.

> Ultimately, we'll want to
> reconcile the Python container with the C Reactor. As you point out they
> are actually quite close already.

The purpose of the container (as well as being the simple entry point
for applications), was as a place to locate the convenience functions
for connecting, establishing links etc, that allow applications to
remain succinct and (I hope) intuitive. I.e. the important difference is
exactly what the container is seeking to add.

What the reactor replaces is the plumbing that was necessary to drive
everything. The container can be viewed as a layer on top of that or an
extension to it.

> Gordon and I have discussed how some of
> the remaining differences can be reconciled. I'll be posting some notes on
> this in the next few days.

I have all the 'container'  examples working over the reactor now. There
is a small change to the reactor itself to allow for more flexibility in
configuration of ssl and sasl:

https://reviews.apache.org/r/30926/

There is a trivial temporary workaround for the lack of sufficient
transport events being emitted when using ssl:

https://reviews.apache.org/r/30927/

Then there are a couple of small additions to the python wrapped version
of the reactor:

https://reviews.apache.org/r/30928/

https://reviews.apache.org/r/30929/

With these in place the two attached patches will apply and complete the
work (I'm not sure how to put patches up on reviewboard that depend on
other patches). The only real change to the api is that the schedule
method takes a relative duration, where previously it took an absolute
time. It also allows a handler to be specified for the specific
scheduled event. I think these are both improvements.

(I split the attachments into two to make it easier to review. The first
is an entirely non-functional change that simply moves code, unaltered.
This makes it clearer that there are no further changes to the reactor.
As a single diff it was a lot harder to read).