qpid-proton mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 release schedule
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:57:17 GMT
On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 06:56 -0400, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Ok, I'll push out a 0.9 RC ASAP.
> On the general topic of API stability, I think the key measure of
> "stability" that I would personally like to see (be it 0.9 or 0.10) is not
> that we somehow freeze APIs and guarantee to never change them, but rather
> that we change them in ways that are backwards compatible. This doesn't
> limit us as much as you might think, it just means we need to put in a bit
> more work for certain changes, e.g. start using feature macros. The point
> of 0.9 was to get as many changes out of the way as possible before
> incurring the extra overhead associated with maintaining full backwards
> compatibility.
> Once we are satisfied we can maintain this guarantee, I think we should go
> to 1.0 rather than sticking with the perpetual 0.x theme.

Big +1. Hopefully the new reactor APIs will hit that mark in the next
release or two once people have started to use them and shake out the

> As for newly introduced APIs, I think once we hit 1.0 we probably need to
> put some process in place around bringing new APIs into the codebase.
> Something that makes it clear to users whether something is at that 1.x
> level or not.

Another big +1. That is greatly preferable to dragging out the release
process while we wait for unreleased API's to "stabilize".

View raw message