qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 release schedule
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:50:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----

In a general sense, how can we be comfortable introducing an API in a 0.x release, and consider
it "stable"?   Wouldn't it make sense to expose the *completed* API for at least one release
before we propose stabilizing it?

For example, the reactor API is new in 0.9, but until 0.9 is released I suspect that this
API won't be fully explored by users.  And of course we won't uncover any potential gotchas
with the new API until it has seen some adoption.  At that point we may need to change/enhance
the api.

Seems to me we should get the reactor API out in 0.9, consider it complete, and stabilize
that *portion* of the API for 0.10 - possibly longer given the scope of that API.  The SASL
API would then be a candidate for stabilization in 0.10 - assuming it has been completed in
time - with 0.11 being a realistic target for considering the SASL API stable.

In other words, when the project considers an API to be complete (from the developer's point
of view), then there should be at least one release that contains that API before we consider
it a candidate for stabilization.

Just MHO...

--
-K