qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Review Request 31681: suggestion: rename proton.utils to proton.sync?
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:20:29 GMT
On 03/10/2015 10:51 AM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> My tour of the code started with an attempt to figure out what the term
> "sync" was intended to mean since "synchronous" is commonly used to refer
> to both a blocking programming style and a request/response messaging
> pattern, but the two aren't necessarily correlated. (Blocking APIs can do
> asynchronous messaging, and non-blocking APIs can do synchronous
> messaging.)

Yes, that is a good point.

(Personally I don't think it necessarily rules out having both under the
same namespace, as long as the detailed semantics are clear. The name
would be a hint for either and indeed both meanings are currently
embodied in the code in that package).

> As it stands this code could be
> anything from the very early start of a general purpose blocking API for
> proton, to a simple convenience API for one particular scenario. Where it
> falls on this spectrum would significantly influence both its name and
> maturity level.

Yes, I agree very much with this. The code that is there is at present
both immature and limited. It provides a very simple blocking,
sequential 'adapter' over the reactive core, and additionally a simple
rpc mechanism on top of that. How it evolves is very much open to
feedback from users and other developers.