qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Strategy for porting Proton to Python 3
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:49:20 GMT
On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 09:54 -0400, Ken Giusti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building on the work done by Dominic and Mickael to get all the proton python bits
to work under both python2 and python3.   See [1].

> I think this will entail a lot of little changes to the python sources and the unit tests.
 Rather than check in a single huge patch, I'm going to break it up over several patches.

> The first bunch of patches will simply 'modernize' the existing python code.  Old style
syntax that is not forward compatible with python 3 will be replaced (eg. print "foo" -->
print("foo"), etc).  I'll use a tool called 'futurize' which is part of the python future
toolset [2], [3].

> Once all python code is updated, then I'll begin introducing python 3 specific patches,
including the work already done by Dominic and Mickael.  Of course I'll verify that none of
these changes will break python 2.   I've got a local CI system that can build/test in both
environments.

> From a discussion with Dominic, we agreed that it would be A Good Thing to use one of
the existing Py2 <--> Py3 abstraction libraries.  These libraries provide utilities
for writing code that works under both python versions.  I've used 'six' in the past [4] and
found it quite helpful - it will eliminate a lot of the messy conditional code one has to
hack in order to support both languages.

> However, this library is not part of the standard python library.  This means introducing
a new dependency.

> Personally, I don't think this is a big deal - use of 'six' is ubiquitous among python
packages.  It's available freely via pypi, and though most distros.

> So that's the Big Question - is everyone comfortable with this additional dependency?
  Does anyone have a better alternative?  Has anyone ported other large python codebases -
what was your experience?

> thanks,
>
> -K
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-490
> [2] http://python-future.org/index.html
> [3] http://python-future.org/futurize_cheatsheet.html
> [4] https://pythonhosted.org/six/

+1. The fact that six is a single python file means we can easily fork
it into proton if the dependency becomes a problem (which it probably
wont.)