qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject [RFC] Strategy for porting Proton to Python 3
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:54:35 GMT

Hi all,

I'm building on the work done by Dominic and Mickael to get all the proton python bits to
work under both python2 and python3.   See [1].

I think this will entail a lot of little changes to the python sources and the unit tests.
 Rather than check in a single huge patch, I'm going to break it up over several patches.

The first bunch of patches will simply 'modernize' the existing python code.  Old style syntax
that is not forward compatible with python 3 will be replaced (eg. print "foo" --> print("foo"),
etc).  I'll use a tool called 'futurize' which is part of the python future toolset [2], [3].

Once all python code is updated, then I'll begin introducing python 3 specific patches, including
the work already done by Dominic and Mickael.  Of course I'll verify that none of these changes
will break python 2.   I've got a local CI system that can build/test in both environments.

>From a discussion with Dominic, we agreed that it would be A Good Thing to use one of
the existing Py2 <--> Py3 abstraction libraries.  These libraries provide utilities
for writing code that works under both python versions.  I've used 'six' in the past [4] and
found it quite helpful - it will eliminate a lot of the messy conditional code one has to
hack in order to support both languages.

However, this library is not part of the standard python library.  This means introducing
a new dependency.

Personally, I don't think this is a big deal - use of 'six' is ubiquitous among python packages.
 It's available freely via pypi, and though most distros.

So that's the Big Question - is everyone comfortable with this additional dependency?   Does
anyone have a better alternative?  Has anyone ported other large python codebases - what was
your experience?

thanks,

-K

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-490