qpid-proton mailing list archives

From Flavio Percoco <fla...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: A case in favor of separate repos for language bindings
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:05:10 GMT
On 19/08/15 12:34 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>I can see certain benefits to such a separation, mainly for folks
>interested only in the bindings, but if I'm honest I'm not sure those
>outweigh the additional complication it seems it may bring in some of
>the other areas.

I think they actually do but probably because I don't see any
complications being added to proton-c itself but rather a
simplification of the current structure. It'll bring a more intuitive
structure to the project rather than having the bindings under
`proton-c`, which is very confusing :)

>The python bindings are slightly more interesting than the others due
>to being at the heart of the python based tests that exist for
>proton-c and proton-j, so splitting them out actually creates a bit of
>a circular dependency with proton / its tests (especially when having
>the submodules in both repos). You mentioned thinking we wouldn't need
>to track the binding within the proton tree (but could do so to
>prevent a breaking change for existing things), and instead use an
>installed version of the bindings. In practice I guess it would be
>about the same in terms of updating proton-c and the bindings and the
>related python-based tests at the same time (adding an install, or
>possibly two, in the middle).

It won't be the same. The reason is that we're currently ensuring that
proton-c doesn't break the bindings 'master' version. This is being
done on the assumption that bindings will be released along with
proton-c and there'll be a binding release per every proton-c minor.

The above is not an ideal scenarion in my opinion. Ideally, we'd have
a release of the bindings that will be able to track several minor
releases of proton-c, but this will probably come later once proton-c
stabilizes a bit more. However, I believe the current structure allows
for breaking changes to land because it tests things against master
only rather than making sure older, still maintained, versions are not
being broken.

Going back to the proposal, I think the circular dependency is not
really necessary and we could just have the python bindings being
installed. The installed version can either be the current master
branch (pip knows how to install from git) or the latest stable
version. Furthermore, we could even have a list of versions that we
want to test against.

To expand the above issue a bit more, I think it's wrong to have the
python tests as part of the in-tree tests for proton-c. Ideally, this
should be the work of a CI system responsible for doing integration
tests. Not saying we should solve this issue now but the proposed
structure allows for it to happen.

> Releasing (in terms of source, here at
>Apache) seems like it would become more 'interesting' though, with
>potential again for the bindings needing proton-c (+proton-j) updates,
>but proton-c (+proton-j) needing the bindings updates for updated
>tests. I guess that might point to splitting the python tests out on
>their own as well so it depended on both separately.

What python tests are you referring to? The ones under `tests/python`
?

Those are the only ones I know of and those are still in the
`proton-c` repo. The python bindings access those through the
submodule for now but yes, I'd agree that eventually, those tests
could even be on their own.

>Perhaps I'm overthinking this though; how would you see some of those
>things working?

Totally honest? I think Java should have its own tests and let python
alone. Maintaining python2.5 - because that's what the tests support -
plus all the self-written tests libraries and whatnot is a burden that
I think we should not carry. Most of the things being maintained under
the `tests/python` 'package' exists already in the python community
and are widely used and tests. I know it seems easier to maintain 1 test
suite for 2 bindings rather than 2 but it really isn't. Not in this
case, at the very least.

However, based on the current situation, I'd either have the test code
on its own or simply follow the proposed structure and have the
bindings following proton-c and consuming tests from there.

>I also can't say that I'd be a particular fan of using submodules,
>most of the things I've read about or tried with them have been a
>turnoff...but I'm mostly skipping over that for now.

In my experience, if done right, they work and they're not hard to
update/maintain. Circular dependencies are to avoid, agreed. One case
where I've had good experience with submodules is the rustlang. I
guess giving this a try would tell better.

Thanks for your reply,
Flavio

--
@flaper87