qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [QPID JMS] receive with timeout and reconnect
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2019 14:51:20 GMT
Correct, its not possible for local-only operation while disabling
prefetching, as thats necessarily requiring remote-only.

While the cases are related I'd also consider the two situations
somwhat different, in that the sender already has a message to process
while the receiver does not and may not for the entire time you have
configured things to consider the connection not failed.

As I said, I probably wouldnt throw in this case but it could perhaps
return null over and over again, though doing so would be tricky as
there are a bunch more mechanics in the receiver and disabling
prefetch further complicates matters as youve partly seen.

Robbie

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 14:02, HADI Ali <Ali.HADI@murex.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> According to the documentation the jms.receiveLocalOnly URI option will make the receive
calls with a timeout will only check a consumers local message buffer. This option will solve
the receive with timeout issue only if we are prefetching messages.

> In our case, our prefetch policy is set to zero. Can’t the receive with timeout behave
the same way the send timeout does? As a client of the JMS API, I would expect the receive
with timeout to exit in the worst case when the timeout expires no matter what is happening
in the background ( Reconnect option triggered ).

> Regards,
> Ali

to verify no messages before returning null.
> Setting the jms.receiveLocalOnly URI option true would stop it draining the link and
so I guess let it return null instead of waiting for the failover process to complete.

> I dont think I'd ever choose to throw from the consumer there, alternatively it could
just return null repeatedly since thats what it does otherwise when there arent messages it
can give.

> Robbie
>
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 10:16, VERMEULEN Olivier <Olivier.VERMEULEN@murex.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > We're using QPID JMS 0.39.0 with a set of reconnect options that makes the client
retry to connect for 2 hours in case of problem.
> > When doing a synchronous receive call with a smaller timeout (like 60 seconds) we
were expecting to receive a TimeOutException after 60 seconds but we actually have to wait
for the whole reconnect to end, so 2 hours.
> > Is that expected? We were expecting a behavior similar to the one we have with the
sendTimeout (defined at the level of the connection factory) where the send fails but the
reconnect continues behind the scene.

> > Thanks,
> > Olivier

> > This e-mail contains information for the intended recipient only. It may contain
proprietary material or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you
are not authorized to distribute, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment to it. Murex cannot
guarantee that it is virus free and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising
from its use. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify immediately the sender
and delete the original email received, any attachments and all copies from your system.

users-help@qpid.apache.org