qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Dispatch Router prefetch
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:26:04 GMT
On 11/03/2019 2:32 pm, Ted Ross wrote:
> We've avoided adding any kind of TTL support in Dispatch Router up to
> this point.

Dropping an expired message is less work than delivering it, even
delivering pre-settled, I suspect.

The ttl is defined in the header of the message, before annotations, so
in the case of message routing at least we will always have read past
that point. Parsing out the ttl will have some cost, but is suspect not
a huge one.

I wouldn't advocate setting up timers to trigger the processing of
expired messages, but wherever it makes sense it could be part of the
processing of deliveries, as a way of saving effort as much as anything.

I probably wouldn't bother too much initially with adjusting the ttl
either, as generally messages flowing into the router network will
pretty quickly reach the egress router (which is where at present they
are 'delayed' until there is credit).

Anyway, not advocating that this is needed, just commenting that I don't
think it needs to have a negative effect on efficiency (indeed it could
even be seen as an optimisation).