From "Jack Diederich" <jack_dieder...@email.com>
Subject Re: Talking about PSP: Internals
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:30:56 GMT
I had a big long reply, but I'll ask this first.

Can't it be implemented in pure python?
This would be the best solution IMHO.  One of the nice things
about mod_python is that it allows you to hack in python
without recompiling apache.

After you have the pure python version working you could
rewrite CPU or memory expensive modules independantly.
This has the advantage that it is easier to run python code
in the interpreter and not just under mod_python.

Shared memory is tough because it isn't portable.  You could
wrap one of the cross-plaform shared memory libs and add a
python interface to it.  Doing it that way has the same
advantages as above, you can then use it for any python
anywhere.  Check comp.lang.python archives, there was a guy
talking about writing one a few months ago.

For lexing, check out PLY (Python Lex-Yacc)
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ply/
It isn't thread safe, my version is though (I think)
http://jackdied.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pymud/lex.py?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

-jack

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup