From "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Talking about PSP: Internals
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:27:23 GMT

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Michael C. Neel wrote:

> Guess I stop lurking for a moment and thrown in my thoughts, and general
> concerns.  These don't really relate to the C vs Python and other issues
> mentioned.
>
> 1.  Can I shut off psp?  I don't want mod_python to slow down any
> because it loads an extra parser, that I may not be using.

Sure, it's just a mod_python handler, you can use it or not use it.

> 	I'm not a fan of PHP, I don't think it lends itself well to
> large systems.  This is because I don't care to have heavy amounts of
> code mixed into a template; I don't like having my data, design, and
> logic mixing

This is a question of taste. I don't like code embedded in HTML either,
but some people can't live without it. I explain my feeling towards it
that I learned programming before HTML existed, whereas for some people
start out with HTML and then develop a need for dynamic content, so to
them it seems natural that the code should live inside HTML. Anyway, it's
just a theory, but I think we've decided that mod_python will cater to
both camps.

> 4.  To be useful to a large selection of python users, psp will need to
> have quite an api with it.  While things like databases, session
> management, and input validation are outside of the scope of mod_python
> (rightfully so), I think they are within the scope of psp.

It's a good point, and I think it'd be a good idea to provide all those
things, but this being a volunteer effort, it will take time.

Grisha