From "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [mod_python] supporting modular mod_python extensions vs."folding" mod_psp
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Rimon Barr wrote:

> In other words, since package X operates over mod_python, mod_psp
> benefits from a package X installation, but not vice versa. The result
> is obvious: mod_psp will be the first to reach critical mass.

The reach of critical mass did not play into design decisions that we
made. I don't even know what that means really. Neither did effect on
other similar projects. That's something commercial vendors should think
about.

Anyway, there is another very important point to consider. To me it's
obvious, but perhaps it should be spelled-out.

There are things that are possible only with Apache ("Apache" == "Apache
httpd" from here on), e.g. using Apache Portable Runtime (APR) for memory
management, I/O, etc. There are numerous performance advantages to this,
but it's all Apache specific. Mod_python is Apache-specific and by virtue
of this can do many things in a remarkably more efficient way.

I believe that pretty much all of the frameworks mentioned out there are
cross-platform, and therefore provide the lowest common denominator of CGI
and other server API's out there. I did not know of any single one that
was written specifically for Apache. Mod_psp was, and it only seemed
natural that if someone went through the work of doing it that it becomes
part of mod_python, since mod_python couldn't do this.

Another example - mod_python includes a few things that already exist in
the Python Standard Library, e.g. FieldStorage class. Our FieldStorage is
more efficient than the standard one, but it is not cross platform. And I
plan to have more stuff like this - e.g. fast native Cookie support,
access to shared memory via APR, and then both client and server session
support. I really don't think about this being a threat of any kind to the
Python standard library.

Grisha