From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [mod_python] supporting modular mod_python extensions vs."folding" mod_psp
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:13:21 GMT
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:20:48AM -0400, Michael C. Neel wrote:
> Just caught up on this thread, and I'll just reply to this one with my
> thought as I mostly agree with Greg here (and that's not just because
> every time I find a cool python app it has his name in the source =p)

hehe... thanks :-)

> It may also be an option here on the www.modpython.org website to list
> links to the various options that work with mod_python.  This would
> lessen the strain on developers who did not have the time to devote to
> maintaining a closer bundle, but did maintain their project.

Nothing against modpython.org, but as I mentioned in my original note, I'd
rather see this occur on httpd.apache.org. For a couple reasons: help to
create a locus of information in an already well-traffic'd site, and to
enable community management. Grisha could set up a number of things to
enable other people to work on the modpython.org site, but I would guess
that administrative stuff isn't where he'd like to spend his time :-)  The
ASF already has the setup for community-managed sites.

> I suspect there is strong opposition from the other language camps on
> removing perl, php, tcl, etc.

Oh yah. That's just my personal POV. I never push hard on it because I
recognize that it wouldn't be well-supported. But that doesn't stop me from
trying to start a meme in that direction :-)

> It would make the most since to list
> these under httpd.apache.org/modules.  Or there could be a Modules
> sidebar section, listing the major ones (perl, python, tcl, wed_dav,
> etc) and a link to "other modules" with a complete list of ASF modules
> (modules.apache.org handles non-asf already)

Agreed. As I mentioned, the CVS module is named 'httpd-site' and patches
against that are just as welcome as patches against mod_python, mod_psp, or
what have you.

Wake up people :-) ... there are more reasons to send in patches than just a
bugfix or doc enhancement... :-)

> Also the foundation link is kinda redundant, but that's another thread
> =p

Hm? What foundation link? (i.e. which page?) If you're talking about on
httpd.apache.org ... we do need those. I actually find it quite annoying
when projects don't adequately link back to the ASF. The ASF is more than
just a code repository, so enabling and expanding its visibility is (IMO)
important.

Cheers,
-g

--