From "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gri...@apache.org>
Subject Status
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:24:47 GMT

I think that pretty much everything I envisioned in mod_python 3.1 is
there, or at least being really close. What's in CVS right now should be
usable (haven't tested it on Windows yet, but on Linux and FreeBSD and
probably Solaris should work just fine).

It would be nice if people checked it out and experimented with it so that
we can get closer to some kind of a alpha/beta release.

The main new things are:

* Cookies. Mod_python now has its own Cookie classes capable of setting
simple cookies, HMAC signed cookies (SignedCookie) as well as ability to
store marshallable objects in a signed cookie (MarshalCookie).

* PSP - which is basically a flex scanner that can convert the HTML-<%%>
stuff into Python source code. It is wrapped in a Python module called
_psp. The psp (sans underscore) module is a fully functional mod_python
handler designed to handle pages containing PSP code; it takes care of
caching, as well as automatic session locking.

* Session support in Session.py. Sessions are dictionary-like objects that
live on the server side (in memory or a dbm file, and one could optionally
provide additional implementations, e.g. database-stored sessions), and
know how to set state via cookies and load themselves based on session id.
Sessions are also good at generating hard to guess session id's and can
take advantage of mod_python's SignedCookie to make session spoofing even
harder.

* Global locking - this is undocumented and is for internal use by
sessions, but probably worth mentioning - it uses APR's global_mutex api
to provide locking across all threads/proceses.

This is all major new stuff I can think of right now... All of it is
documented, so if you have tetex and latex2html installed you should be
able to generate PDF and html docs my typing "make html" or "make pdf" in
the Doc directory.

Grisha