From "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alpha
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:29:17 GMT

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Fraser wrote:

> One question - is it really neccessary to have the tkinter dependency in
> the install?

Well... You have to give the user some way to specify where Apache is, so
that the installer can place mod_python in the right location. The stock
installer from python.org includes tk by default, so I thought it was
safe.

> It seems it is only required to ask for the directory of Apache in the
> postinstall process...

Pretty much.

> Would you be happy to accept a patch that removes it, or provides an
> alternate way of specifying the directory if Tkinter is not installed?

If you can some up with something, that'd be great. In
win32_postinstall.py, if you make askForApacheDir() fail gracefully if
Tkinter is not there (with try/except), and then perhaps place
mod_python.so into the Python directory instead (since you wouldn't know
where Apache is), and adjust LoadModule in the final message accordingly.

Grisha