From David Fraser <dav...@sjsoft.com>
Subject Re: Status
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:07:06 GMT
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>I think that pretty much everything I envisioned in mod_python 3.1 is
>there, or at least being really close. What's in CVS right now should be
>usable (haven't tested it on Windows yet, but on Linux and FreeBSD and
>probably Solaris should work just fine).
>
>It would be nice if people checked it out and experimented with it so that
>we can get closer to some kind of a alpha/beta release.
>
>The main new things are:
>
>* Cookies. Mod_python now has its own Cookie classes capable of setting
>simple cookies, HMAC signed cookies (SignedCookie) as well as ability to
>store marshallable objects in a signed cookie (MarshalCookie).
>
>* PSP - which is basically a flex scanner that can convert the HTML-<%%>
>stuff into Python source code. It is wrapped in a Python module called
>_psp. The psp (sans underscore) module is a fully functional mod_python
>handler designed to handle pages containing PSP code; it takes care of
>caching, as well as automatic session locking.
>
>* Session support in Session.py. Sessions are dictionary-like objects that
>live on the server side (in memory or a dbm file, and one could optionally
>provide additional implementations, e.g. database-stored sessions), and
>know how to set state via cookies and load themselves based on session id.
>Sessions are also good at generating hard to guess session id's and can
>take advantage of mod_python's SignedCookie to make session spoofing even
>harder.
>
>* Global locking - this is undocumented and is for internal use by
>sessions, but probably worth mentioning - it uses APR's global_mutex api
>to provide locking across all threads/proceses.
>
>This is all major new stuff I can think of right now... All of it is
>documented, so if you have tetex and latex2html installed you should be
>able to generate PDF and html docs my typing "make html" or "make pdf" in
>the Doc directory.
>
>Grisha

We'll definitely have a look at Cookies, Sessions and Global locking as
we already have extensions for these in our application which will need
to migrate over to the new system, and might provide some added code...
In addition I would like to do some code to make FieldStorage a real
dictionary... hopefully I can get that in in time
Thanks for the update
David