From David Fraser <dav...@sjsoft.com>
Subject Re: Alpha
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:00:32 GMT
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>One question - is it really neccessary to have the tkinter dependency in
>>the install?
>>

>Well... You have to give the user some way to specify where Apache is, so
>that the installer can place mod_python in the right location. The stock
>installer from python.org includes tk by default, so I thought it was
>safe.

Yes, it's just that we try do a minimal Python install for our end users...

>>It seems it is only required to ask for the directory of Apache in the
>>postinstall process...
>>

>Pretty much.
>

>>Would you be happy to accept a patch that removes it, or provides an
>>alternate way of specifying the directory if Tkinter is not installed?
>>

>If you can some up with something, that'd be great. In
>win32_postinstall.py, if you make askForApacheDir() fail gracefully if
>Tkinter is not there (with try/except), and then perhaps place
>mod_python.so into the Python directory instead (since you wouldn't know
>where Apache is), and adjust LoadModule in the final message accordingly.
>
>Grisha

I think the current handling is fine, it makes more sense for the user
to copy mod_python to the right place as it currently does.
But I've added a patch which will use the win32 extensions to let the
user browse to the right path if tk isn't installed.
I guess this just matches exactly what our users tend to have, so it
might not help anyone else, but I'd be grateful if it could be included.
Basically it provides an alternative method which is still easier than
manually copying (it's not as nice as the tk method because
it doesn't guide you to the expected directory in the first place -
because there doesn't seem to be a nice way to do that in the win32 api!)
The patch is attached. If I get time, I'll have a look at automatically
modifying the httpd.conf...

David