From "Michael C. Neel" <n...@mediapulse.com>
Subject Re: inital questions and patches
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:20:10 GMT
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 11:41, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> Mike -
>
> Are you sayig that 3.x has this issues resolved? If so then nothing needs
> to be done, since we're not doing anything to the 2.x except for critical
> security fixes.
>
> Grisha

We've not seen the problem on 3.x; though we haven't raised the "stress"
of 3.x to the level we have for 2.x.  Under high load, 2.x also shows
signs of memory leaks (we have cron jobs running to restart apache to
work around this atm).  These issues have been on the list in hte past,
and while they are not a security hole they can lead to a dead server.
Internally we've just decided to see 2.x as "Unsupported" and are moving
python sites off of it as we can.  Leaving Apache 1.3 isn't an option,
there are just too many major modules that aren't stable in Apache 2.

On a related note, it might be helpful to the community to take
advantage of mod_python being an ASF project.  I know other ASF projects
are setup with developer cvs access and also bug/issue tracking
systems.  I'm sure sf.net can help here as well, so emailing a patch
andsearching list archives aren't the only methods for contributing to
the project.  I know you have no desire to work on 2.x code anymore
(which I can respect), but I think there would be support for the code
by some community members if access was made a little easier.

Mike