From Jim Gallacher <jg.li...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: FileSession.py - improved? version
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:25:55 GMT
Hi Grisha,

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> However, when lock=0, there will be a race condition. Two process can
>> have their own copies of FileSession data for a specific session at
>> the same time.
>

> OK, but that's not specific to the FileSession? It sounded like there is
> something inherent in FileSession about this.

It's not specific to FileSession - that's just the context of the
discussion. I wanted to note that there was a race condition in case
anyone was looking at the evolving FileSession code.

> This is basically the main reason why session locking is necessary, it'd
> be good add this to documentation since it's not very easy to grasp why
> session locking is necessary. But it belongs in BaseSession docs I think.

Agreed. When the FileSession code has settled down, I'll write some
documentation. I can modify BaseSession documentation section detailing
this limitatation as well, if you like. Or would it make sense to have a
separate section describing the importance of session locking, since it
is, as you say, difficult to grasp?

Regards,
Jim