From Nick <n...@dd.revealed.net>
Subject Re: Solving the import problem
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:17:30 GMT
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:50 +0200, Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> Most of the problems raised when importing handlers (including double
> import of handlers) have been solved in the trunk for a while now, the
> bug fixes are waiting for an official release.

Looks good, seems to work well.  However, I never use import_module
myself in any of my code, so I'm never going to interact with the dict
that holds the handler modules.

> But like I've wrote
> before, the current implementation of import_module is still broken
> and dangerous for our users.

I really don't see how you're going to get around using an import hook
for that, at least temporarily while import_module is called so all the
dependent imports get reloaded, unless it's a "standard" Python library
(i.e. /usr/lib/pythonX.X or wherever Python is installed).  I also don't
think there's anything wrong with operating directly on the sys.modules
dict if you're properly using the global import lock.

> It's time to change it before it's too late (before compatibility
> issues force us to leave it as is). I'll try to spend some time on it
> on next sunday.

I think the syntax is OK, just the implementation that needs changing.
I don't think there should be any compatibility issues.

Nick